Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What's your "back-up" dinner?

Just curious.... what is your back-up dinner? You know, the dinner you go to when you are in a hurry or forgot to take the meat out of the freezer. What do you always keep in your pantry that makes a fast dinner? I'm always looking for fast, easy dinner ideas. I love to cook but with a baby in the house it's not always so easy. Here are a few of our favorite back-up dinners:

1. Zataran's Red Beans and Rice. This is soooo yummy and super easy. We always add kielbosa sausage and extra rice to it because it is pretty saucy. You'll find at least 2 of these boxes in our pantry at all times.

2. Target's Archer Farms Puttanesca sauce with Costco's frozen meatballs. If you like spaghetti sauce you will love this one. It's way better than just plain old red sauce.

3. Tortilla soup: 1 can of chicken (you'll find it with the tuna), 1 can of rotel (it's tomatoes and diced green chili's), 1 can of ranch or texas beans, and a family size can of Cambell's chicken and rice soup. All you do is dump all the cans, don't drain any of them, into a pan and heat. To serve, crush tortilla chips on the bottom of a bowl and pour the soup over. It's so easy and so good.

I'd love to hear your easy dinner ideas. Thanks!

6 comments:

SloneFamily said...

I LOVE that Tortilla soup recipe. Yum, so glad it is getting chili again so I can start making it :)

Megan Swiatkowski said...

That chicken tortilla soup sounds so good! I can't wait to make it now that the weather is a little nicer. :) Paul won't eat soup if it's hot outside.

I'm always looking for last minute dinners. I turn to this backup all the time.......

Salsa Chicken and Rice

4 chicken breasts- 2 if it's just Paul and me or if I don't want leftovers
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of salsa
1 packet of taco seasoning
1/2 cup fat free sour cream

Put all ingredients in the slowcooker except sour cream. Cook over low for 6 hours or high for 3. Serve over white or brown rice topped with sour cream. So easy.

Anonymous said...

I have tons of easy dinner backups.. You can just pop in potatoes at 350 degrees, and a pan full of chicken wings soaked in sweet sauce and bunches of herbs and forget about it for a hour.. then its all delicious~! I also love making tostatdas.. Only 15 min to make it.. brown the ground beef, and heat the tostada shells for 2 mintues, then just put the beef on the shells, add cheese, sour cream, clintro, onions, anything else you desire on it..
I usually do this on the weekend.. Cut up all potatoes then cook it for 30 min, then mash it up, put in a huge bowl, add 1/3 milk, as much sour cream you want, 1/3 cream cheese, green onions, cooked chopped bacons.. mix it all together.. put it in a glass pan, put cheese on top.. put it in the fridge, and when you want something really fast, you can put the glass pan in the oven for 40 min at 350 degrees.. and its all a mixture of a potato casserole. my family loves when i make them this.. mabye i can bring this to you, and all you have to do is heat it up! you can have your wonderful hubby grill up some steak to go with the potato casserole or whatever you like.
GOOD LUCK!

Jenna said...

Mmmm... those sound so good! The back up meals we eat when I don't feel like cooking are... Hillshire Farm chedder wurst brats on the george foreman and baked beans. So Yummy. Also, I buy this barilla three cheese tortellini and then a jar of sun dried tomato alfredo sauce. Jeff and I love it! All you do is cook the tortellini and pour on the sauce. We also have these chicken and cheese quesedillas. All you do is buy chicken filets and sprinkle chile powder all over them and I cook them on the george foreman then cut them up into little bite size pieces. Then in between two tortillas you put the chicken, cheese, and sauce (like 1 cup salsa with a couple tablespoons miracle whip) it sounds gross but is so good! and just cook it in a pan on each side to make them crispy! Hope these help ya out!

Unknown said...

Can I just say that I love the crock pot? I use it all the time. I'll have to think of some of my most favorite recepies and get back to you!
Thanks for sharing yours though! It is so fun to see what everyone else cooks...

Anonymous said...

HI ashley- I didnt see any other options to contact you regarding the discrimination issue w my bf- He already contacted the newspaper to correct the mistakes- he also had a huge meeting with his cousin and his mother, and myself.. Dont worry i already chewed them out for doing that to my bf. I am very protective of my family including my bf.. anyways everything is solved, and it seems to be doing alot better- if you want, i can drive you and grace to Miami Rice Pudding and get some free samples- just let me know- i got a roomy suv ..
I also am going through massive discrimination by ASU right now, so its pretty crazy- anyways- thanks for reading my blog- i appericate it :)