Saturday, June 26, 2010

Anyone have a black hole I can borrow?

What a weekend....

Friday afternoon my in-laws so graciously invited Care and I over so that they could watch the older girls and let us go out for some shopping and Starbucks. Carolyn and I were both excited at the thought of not having to chase our crazy 2 year olds around stores and enthusiastically accepted the invitation. Unfortunately, once we got to Ikea with the younger 2 kids in tow, I got this crazy dizzy spell and felt sick. I was so dizzy and nauseous when we got back that it was making me throw-up. All that night and Saturday I felt horrible. A disturbing thought came to mind, "Am I pregnant?" It seems that my husband, mother-in-law and sister-in-law were all thinking the same thing. Finally, on Saturday, I went to Target and bought a pregnancy test.

But I was on my way to meet some friends for lunch so I had to hold off on the test. Levi and Gracie were home sleeping so I took Noah with me. We got to the restaurant and I threw my keys in the diaper bag and set the bag on the passenger seat. Then I got out of the car and walked around to get Noah out. The door was locked. (Even as I'm writing this I'm getting all panicky again) I looked through the window at all the doors and ALL of them were locked. Somehow in my moment of dizziness and stress, I had locked all the doors and left the keys in the car. Noah was locked in the car, in the middle of the day, in triple digit weather. I completely lost it. I ran into the restaurant and yelled at the poor hostess to call 911. She just stared at me for a moment not sure what to do. Luckily their manager got on the phone right away. I ran and hysterically told my friend, Megan, what had happened. Meg's friend came out with me and was so sweet to try and calm me down and reassure me that everything would be okay. All I could think about was how hot it was outside and how much my baby needed me. Those few minutes until the firefighters got there were the longest most horrible minutes of my life. When they got there I begged them to break a window. I didn't care how they got him out but I wanted him out NOW! They were wonderful and were able to unlock the door within seconds. No window breaking required. Noah was still sleeping in the car when we got him out and didn't seem fazed by the incident at all but me, I am forever scarred. I felt like an unfit mother. All I wanted to do was hold him and kiss him and.... sink into a black hole. It was incredibly embarrassing to go back into that restaurant after I had just ran in there yelling like a maniac. I am so thankful to how fast the firefighters were able to get the scene and the way they so simply slipped that wonderful tool in the the door and opened it. They didn't make me feel worse than I already did and were very sweet. Thankful for my husband who tried to explain to me how it wasn't my fault (it was) and did his best to make me feel better. Thankful for the girls at lunch that tried so hard to not make me feel like a complete moron. Thankful for the delicious Sprinkle cupcake that helped to make everything better. But most importantly thankful for my sweet son that I haven't been able to set down since the incident.

And, I took the test and I am NOT pregnant. Praise the Lord!

4 comments:

Megan Swiatkowski said...

I felt so bad for you! Mostly because we ALL have those moments and can relate to how horrible it feels to be in one of those situations. Luckily, everything turned out just fine and Noah didn't even seem phased, he was his sweet, cuddly, chill self.

Now you definitely have a good story to look back on and I'm sure once you're over the trauma, you'll eventually be able to laugh.

Glad you're not pregnant, only because you are glad, but if you were, it would be the luckiest baby on the planet to have you for a mom!

Now go take a bubble bath and make Levi give you a massage!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! I totally could NOT read fast enough!I cried..bleh. I am SO thankful that you and Noah and everything is ok now! I love you girl!

SloneFamily said...

Oh gosh, I wish I could say I can't imagine how horrible that would be, but I CAN!!!! Oh Lord. That is awful. You were so smart to run and have 911 called asap. One of those moments you will never forget, for sure!

Glad to hear you are not pregs again. It might just be too soon ;)

Unknown said...

I too have had one of those moments but my baby was locked inside of my house!

Luckily Noah was still fast asleep! It happens to the best of us!